Monday, September 3, 2012

My new journey...

Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us.
Samuel Smiles

 

As I watched the sun set on the Oregon Coast I couldn't help but reflect on my new journey and how the sun was setting on a chapter of my life only to rise again, breaking dawn on a new.  I decided to record my journey not for others, but for myself.  I want to jot down my thoughts, feelings, and even challenges along the way.

Around my last birthday (turning 47) I realized enough was enough with being overweight.  I couldn't tie my shoes without finding a place to raise my foot and even then my shoelace would be crooked and not centered.  If I got down on the floor I had to become a contortionist to get back up again.  I was tired all the time.  I think I even got to the point where food was just blah.  Yes, I loved tastes but after you've eaten most everything and eating out on a consistent basis, even your favorites don't sound good anymore.  I have tried and been slightly successful on many diets.  (Successful for a short time).  But the old habits always seemed to creep back in.  I've never been a huge eater, I've just been a bad eater and throw in being mostly sedentary it just means more pounds.

So my journey began in September of 2011.  I decided I'd contact the Salem Baratric Center.  I was excited and ready to go.  But then life threw in curve balls.  To be able to qualify for the surgery one must lose 5% of their weight.  I was hoping to get laproscopic which meant not only losing the initial 5% but another 20 pounds on top of that.  I honestly thought this would be a piece of cake.  But then I noticed strange things going on with my body.  I had started menopause.  With the beginning of this meant my body truly did not want to let go of the weight.  I was exercising, watching what I ate, and I couldn't lose weight.  So finally in June of 2012 I went back to the center and told them my problem.  I asked them if I could switch to having the open gastric bypass.  They agreed and then I only needed to lose 5%.  I had to cut my caloric intake severely, but it worked, I was able to get my 5% off before my surgery.

On the morning of July 30th, 2012 I arrived at the Salem Hospital Surgery Center.  With my husband Ron by my side I was ready to start this new chapter.  The moment I awoke from anesthesia I was in so much pain.  I didn't really remember why I was in the hospital or why I was hurting.  When the memory of surgery came back to me I thought, why in the world did I choose to do this.  I couldn't breathe and all my organs had a deep aching pain that I can't even describe.  But I was able to bounce back and recovered better than anyone could have anticipated.  At the hospital the nurses were calling me the "over achiever".  When they said to get up and walk I walked 5/8ths of a mile.  The next day I walked 7/8ths.  I weaned myself off the pain meds and managed pain by moving. 

I have to take a moment and thank my loving husband.  He stayed with me the entire 4 days in the hospital.  He did not leave to shower, he slept next to me.  He only left to even eat if I had company or I was on the phone.  When they moved me half way through my stay, there was not room for a bed for him.  He told the nurses if they couldn't fit a bed in the room he would sleep on the floor but he was not leaving me.  And he meant it!  When we got home he lovingly emptied my drains and cared for my incision.  He helped me in and out of the recliner I had to sleep in.  He truly was and is my rock and the best support I could ask for.

I am now one month out from surgery.  I have lost 19 pounds from the date of surgery and 57 pounds from my high weight.  Three days ago I just broke a two and a half week stall.  It was so frustrating to know I was doing everything right and yet could not budge the scale.  But after it broke I lost 4 pounds in three days.  So I am happy again.

Again, this blog is not to be narcissistic or even for others really.  This blog is a journal of my journey to a new, healthier me.  I don't mind others following as I can use all the cheerleaders I can get.  If this blog  inspires others along the way, that is an added bonus.  Thank you to all my family and friends who have been supportive so far.  I couldn't have done it without you all.

Here are some photos of my journey so far.

T

This family photo was taken in December of 2010.  This is my high weight of 330 pounds.



July 15th, 2012, 305 pounds


July 22nd, 2012, 297 pounds


July 29, 2012, 293 pounds


August 6th, 2012, one week after surgery and no make-up.  290 pounds


August 12, 2012, 281 pounds


July 26th, 2012, 277 pounds


September 2, 2012, 273 pounds


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for starting this blog, I love being able to check on your progress! I'm so proud of you for doing what was necessary to ensure that you're with us longer. Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Stephanie! This is such scary territory but I feel good about it. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Laura, I am SO impressed and so happy for you. You look great!!!

    I will be following you all the way!

    ReplyDelete