Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Almost Normal... Week 7

“Every day is a new beginning. Treat it that way. Stay away from what might have been, and look at what can be.” — Marsha Petrie Sue



This week has been full of firsts when it comes to my new way of eating.  I am on a regimen that pretty much should be the way I choose to eat the rest of my life.  It's been interesting discovering my new "norm".  I've tried to branch out and taste new foods and old things that I haven't eaten in months.  It's funny how some of the old favorites that have really fond memories in my mind just don't taste as good as I remember.  Last night Ron got a Blizzard from Dairy Queen.  They were buy one get one for 99 cents.  These used to be my all-time favorite sinful indulgence.  I just wanted to taste it because as I've been finding out this week, it sometimes only takes a taste to put those cravings firmly in the past.  I also knew it wouldn't get wasted with Ian living at home.  So after I had 2 very small bites I realized this is one that just didn't taste the way I remember.  It was sickly sweet, almost revolting to me.  I have no desire to have one again in the near future.  What a wonderful feeling!  It's like purging and getting rid of so many demons.  Sugar just doesn't taste that good anymore. 

Another fun thing I've been doing is actually working out to a pre-programmed workout on my treadmill.  The workout programs on my particular model are actually pretty challenging.  Even Ron found them to be a good workout and he doesn't have much difficulties when it comes to exercise.  I'd been doing good on my normal workout, I had even added a bit of interval training, so I decided it was time to step it up.  I was able to complete the first program all the way through as programmed with the exception of speed.  I just can't go that fast yet as I have short legs.  My stride is small and my legs have to do almost double time to a normal person.  So when it sped up to 3.5 I just slowed it down to 2.8 but I kept it at the same incline.  The inclines got up to 7 and stayed the majority of time in the 5 range.  My calves are definitely feeling the burn.  I'm so proud of myself for completing this all the way through with minor modifications.  Hopefully as more weight comes off I will be able to walk at the programmed speed.

This weekend Ron and I stayed at the Nines Hotel in downtown Portland.  What a beautiful hotel that is.  Saturday we went to their restaurant called The Urban Farmer and had food from their Happy Hour.  We sampled all kinds of delicious food.  Being able to look at their menu and try to decipher what I felt would be healthy and kind to my stomach took a little skill but I think we got the job done.  It was awesome to take just a few bites but still get fully satisfied.  I try to take the time to taste the flavors and textures and really enjoy the food.

Later Saturday evening Ian picked me up from the hotel and we went to The Keller Center and watched Memphis.  To be honest I was not expecting much from this show and in fact the reason Ian went with me was because Ron decided he didn't want to go.  We have season tickets and I thought Ian might enjoy experiencing his first off-Broadway production and boy was I right.  I think many others felt they wouldn't enjoy this show either and the place had a lot of empty seats.  Our season tickets are for the 2nd balcony because that's the cheap seats and you can see just fine at Keller up there.  But when we saw there were a lot of expensive seats available still I asked one of the ushers if we could move forward.  He told me we weren't having this conversation but just walk up and if someone asks to help you tell them you know where you're going.  Ian picked a row of seats about 20 rows back from front center.  I was so nervous watching people come in because I'd be mortified for someone to say, "Excuse me, you're in our seats".  LOL  But the extraordinary thing was, not one person sat in that row the entire night.  It was the only row with completely empty seats.  So we got a very good seat and really enjoyed the show.  Memphis was actually a fantastic show with some of the best singers all season.  I loved every moment of it and didn't want it to end.  Ian was all smiles and I treasure the opportunity to spend that enjoyable evening with my youngest child.

So week 7 has been a week of error and trial with quite a few huge successes when it comes to eating.  One thing that may be a blessing or curse is the fact that nothing has made me nauseous or sick so far.  I've pretty much been able to eat everything I've tried as long as I take the time to chew it to mush.  I have found that I do get hungry now and the thing I seem to crave most is savory proteins.  Mexican has been on the top of my list.  Eating fajitas and refried beans was one of my favorite meals last week.  Yummy!  I'm hoping to start cooking a bit more as time permits and exploring that avenue as well.  I'm down a total of 63 pounds from my high and 25 since surgery.  YAY!

I found a few more before pictures.  These were both taken 2 years ago since both of these grandbabies turned two the last few months.






This is a 5 generation photo taken at Brooklyn's blessing.  My daughter Ashley, my father Gerald, my grandmother Gladys, me, and baby Brooklyn.

This was taken the day of Davin's birth, August 21, 2010.  Ashley, Brooklyn, Davin, Jon, and me in the rear.  Of course I was trying to hide and really not wanting my picture taken.

September 16th, 2012  268 pounds  (down 62)

6 comments:

  1. You are becoming more beautiful every week. I love reading your updates and feel almost as proud as you do about the weight you're losing. I must admit to being a little bit jealous because I don't have that satisfied feeling until I've gorged myself. You, my dear, are such an inspiration. Before you know it, you'll be running on that treadmill and you will be fit and healthy. Congrats to the new and improved Laura! Whoop!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing I wanted to mention ...

    You can't rush fitness. Don't try to overdo. Push yourself hard, but don't kill yourself trying to reach a level you're not at yet. It will all come in time as long as you're consistent.

    And BRAVO once more. You put such a big smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn, your comments brought tears to my eyes. I love you sweet woman. Thanks for your support!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too, Laura. You're a very special friend. I feel such a kinship with you.

      Delete
  4. Hrm, I tried to post and it wouldn't let me. Let's see if it works this time.

    Don't worry about taking it slow, as long as your heartbeat is up and you are sweating (or is that still called "glowing"? ;) ) then you're getting a workout.

    Congratulations on getting closer to your goal. And I know what you mean about fond memories of food being better than the actual item, I felt the same when I tried to eat nacho doritos a few months ago. Strange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anxiously awaiting this week's update!!! :)

    ReplyDelete